Monday, August 25, 2014

An earthquake survivor

I am the luckiest dad in the whole wide world. Sister Harper is great. We have lots of fun together.
Here she is my darling Greenie!! I love her already!!


Guess who's in my zone?!
Elder Prince AND Elder Taylor (Friends from home)!

PARTAAAAY!


The Canadians are taking over! Next zone meeting we are having a Canada party. Elder Taylor is going to make poutine, and I am going to make nanaimo bars. Mom, if you haven't already sent that package; wonderbars, ketchup chips, and any other Canadian food you can think of would be AWESOME!
These Americans won't know what hit 'em.

I'm officially a gluten free, dairy free sister missionary. You know those annoying missionaries that move into the ward that no one knows how to feed because they have a gazillion food restrictions...? yeah that's me. I was completely clean of it for 5 whole days until Sunday came along and I needed to partake of the sacrament... But I feel GREAT! I feel healthier than I have in a long time. I knew I would without the dairy in my body because I am allergic to it, but I thought I would try no gluten for a while and see if I notice any differences.. One thing is for sure, It has really cleared my head. 

You should all be pleased to know that I am a 6.1 earthquake survivor. 

I sleep on the bottom of a bunk bed, and Sister Harper sleeps on a bed on the other side of the room. Sunday night I woke up at about 3:20 in the morning to the feeling that Sister Harper was on the top bunk shaking my bed. I called, "Sister Harper?" and heard her respond on the other side of the room so I knew it wasn't her. I asked, "Do you feel that?" She said she did so I knew it wasn't just me. Then I ask, "is this an earthquake?" She had never felt one before but said, "Yeah, I think it is." I rolled over and sat up and felt it moving beneath my feet too. It was the strangest feeling. I had never felt an earthquake before, that was my first one, and it lasted about 15 seconds. It really wasn't bad, no damage was done in Santa Rosa, but apparently Napa got it bad.

Santa Rosa is beautiful. As much as I loved Eureka, it definitely made me appreciate a nicely groomed neighborhood a lot more. 



Sister Harper and I call these Santa Rosa trees. They are everywhere! Last year I wanted to take pictures with them because I thought they were so pretty but I didn't act fast enough. I didn't think I would be back in Santa Rosa at the same time of year ever again so I was sad. Turns out I was wrong and got to come back at the exact same time of year. This was one of the last ones that was still pretty that we could find.


There is an INCREDIBLE family we are teaching here. I mean incredible! They have gone from the very worst to using the atonement and being the happiest family in the heeling process. Their baptisms are set to be next month. I feel so honored to be able to be a part of their lives and watch them grow.
Facebook has boomed for me. I just decided one day that I wanted to be more productive on Facebook and work just a little bit harder. That week I picked up 5 new investigators. One guy I am teaching in Africa is super solid and went to church this last weekend. He said he loved it and felt that he had a family there. I am friends with about half the Philippines, so hopefully I can be able to pick up more of them to teach. If you want to help the work move along on faster on Facebook. You can help by prayerfully choosing one of my Facebook posts to comment on and share. Then not only my friends will see it, but then your friends will too.

Anyway. I love this work. being a missionary is so cool!
GO if you can!

Love,
Sister Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment